Palazzo del Pretorio

It is the building that gives its name to the main square of Sovana. It was built during the Middle Ages, more precisely between 1100 and 1200, damaged during the Sienese siege in the early 15th century, the palace was restored between 1413 and 1414.

Starting from 1500, with the advent of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the building was used as a city prison, between 1800 and 1900 it was used as a warehouse and today it is a museum.

The building has a rectangular plan with the main facade overlooking the square. Articulated on two levels, it is entirely made of tuff, on the façade we can still recognize 9 coats of arms, belonging to the captains of the people and to the commissioners who administered the village.

Today the building houses the Tufo Archaeological Park Visitor Center and the Sovanese Territory Documentation Center.